Every Engage organization is held within an administrative branch that governs its event and registration processes. Campus administrators have the ability to transfer one or more organizations between branches using the Organization Branch Transfer tool. This tool is ideal for use as part of branch implementation or after a restructuring of organization pages.
The organization's forms, documents, news posts, discussion posts, event history, and roster will all be preserved in the transfer, unless the feature is disabled in their organization type within the destination branch. Similarly, organization officer status is maintained, but if position templates are configured differently within the different branches, access could shift slightly. Upon transferring an organization between branches, the organization will utilize the new (destination) branch's event processes and registration processes. The organization will also now use the settings of its destination organization type and position templates of the new branch.
Plan ahead before starting the organization branch transfer process to time it well with your campus processes. Note that when you transfer an organization's branch, the following will take place:
- Any pending or in progress organization registrations will be deleted.
- Pending event submissions will be denied.
- In progress event submissions will be deleted.
- Branch administrators who previously had access to the organization will no longer have access unless they a) are also a branch administrator for the new/destination branch or b) have community-wide organization access.
Before initiating the Organization Branch Transfer process, be sure the new/destination branch is fully configured. This includes:
- Create or update all needed organization types in the destination branch. In some cases, you might create organization types similar to what was used in the previous organization type, or you might choose to expand on the available organization types. This is also a great opportunity to review what tools are available in each organization type.
- Create or update all needed position templates in the destination branch. If you do not create any position templates in the new branch, each position record will become an Organization Created Position rather than a template, limiting your ability to report on and message different position-holders in your branch. Similar to organization types, you might start by reviewing the position templates used in the former/source branch for ideas. Be sure position templates in the new branch each have the appropriate degree of access to their organization.
- Assign position templates to organization types. Don't forget this crucial last step to make sure organizations have access to the positions you create.
Using the Organization Branch Transfer Tool
When you are ready to use the organization branch transfer tool, first navigate to the Admin view of your site. Choose the Organizations drop down and select "Organization Transfer." Click "Transfer Organizations" to begin the organization transfer process.
The Organization Branch Transfer tool will first prompt you to choose the source branch - this is the branch you want to move organizations out from. In this case, let's imagine you are moving Campus Department pages into a new branch of their own.
Next, choose the organizations that you would like to transfer to a new branch. You will need to identify what organization type these organizations should be transferred into. Note that you can only transfer organizations into one organization type at a time. This eases the mapping process. If transferring into multiple organization types, you can use the organization branch transfer tool for each organization type separately.
Once you have selected your organizations and destination branch and organization type, you're ready to map your position templates! On this step you will choose how the position templates from the source branch should map to the new/destination branch's position templates.
Notice that you will not be able to select Continue to Next Step until you have chosen a position template for each assigned or available position template in the organization's former organization type. Position templates must be assigned to the organization type selected in the previous step in order to be chosen here. You can also map positions to Organization Created positions - this means that position holders will maintain their previous access and position name but not use standardized position templates.
The final step of the organization branch transfer is to review your work so far. Once you are all set, go ahead and select the Finish button - the transfer will be initiated immediately. You can transfer an organization between branches as much as you'd like, but note that this would be disruptive to the organizations' functioning since pending and in-progress submissions are interrupted. Be sure to review the transfer thoroughly before clicking Finish.