Each budget process is formatted on a budget template which defines the structure for requests. The budget template outlines the custom sections and line items you have included as a part of that process to request specific information from a user.
Templates might include "Event Funding Request" or "Professional Development Travel Request." You can set up multiple budget templates, each with sections and individual line items to have multiple processes at a time. After a user chooses a template, they’ll be prompted to complete each section within it. You can choose to make these sections optional or required. You can also set up a description and minimum/maximum amount for each section and line item.
Within a budget template you can define the following:
- The name of your overall Budget Template (required) - This is how your users will select which process to submit.
- A description or a set of instructions for your Budget Template (optional)
- A maximum number of line items that can be included in this Budget Template (optional)
- The minimum and/or maximum dollar amounts that may be requested overall within this template (optional)
When you first create your budget template, you can configure these settings by clicking Add Budget Template Details. Once you have defined a name for your budget template, you can select that name to modify it further.
Adding New Section Types
Once you’ve established the Budget Template, you will be able to add section types. Sections create groupings or categories of spending for related line items. With each new section type, you can include the following:
- The name of the section type (required; e.g., Travel, Marketing/Promotions)
- A description or a set of instructions for this Section Type (optional)
- The minimum and/or maximum dollar amounts that may be requested within this section (optional)
- You may also indicate whether this overall section will be optional or required. If the section is marked as required, users will have to fill out at least one line item in that section.
Adding New Line Item Categories
Once you’ve created sections, you can populate these sections with pre-determined Line Item Categories. Line item categories allow you to identify commonly used categories or incorporate campus specific language. At the line item level, you can also identify if the amount will be an Expense or Income. If you choose Expense, the amount filled in will increase the amount requested. If you choose Income, you are offering students a chance to indicate how much they will raise or contribute with their own funds and the amount entered here will decrease the total amount requested.
Within each line item category, you can include the following:
- The name of your Line Item Category (required)
- A description or a set of instructions for each Line Item Category (optional)
- Determine if this Line Item Category will be an Expense or Income (required; Once this is chosen, it cannot be changed)
- The minimum and/or maximum dollar amounts that may be requested (optional)
- The option or requirement to upload a supporting document up to 10MB in size (optional)